The City of Tacoma has announced the winners of the first-ever Tacoma Green Infrastructure Challenge competition, which recently brought together the brightest design teams from around the Puget Sound region to showcase their ideas for a greener Tacoma.
The competition was launched late last year when local design and engineering firms were invited to form teams and develop concepts for up to three real-world sites sponsored by public entities in Tacoma. The City of Tacoma sponsored a green roadway in the South Tacoma Way business district. The Port of Tacoma sponsored an industrial redevelopment site. Finally, Metro Parks Tacoma sponsored the urban redevelopment of the South End Recreation Area (SERA) Athletic Fields.
On Thurs., March 5, teams of local firms, sustainability committee members, and students from four universities shared their ideas with jurors, fellow competitors, and spectators during a presentation and awards ceremony at the University of Washington Tacoma. Winning teams in each category received a $5,000 cash prize and trophy (see “Awards ceremony March 5 for Tacoma Green Infrastructure Challenge,” Tacoma Daily Index, Feb. 25, 2015).
KPG received the top award for its work on a green roadway in the South Tacoma Way business district. The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Sustainability Committee received the top award for its work on an industrial redevelopment site near the Port of Tacoma. Contour Engineering and Nature By Design received the top award for their work on urban redevelopment of the South End Recreation Area (SERA) Athletic Fields. Finally, the People’s Choice Award was presented to KPG.
More information is available online at cityoftacoma.org/tgichallenge.
To read the Tacoma Daily Index‘s complete and comprehensive coverage of green infrastructure projects in Tacoma, click on the following links:
- Awards ceremony March 5 for Tacoma Green Infrastructure Challenge (Tacoma Daily Index, Feb. 25, 2015)
- $7.7M Dept. of Ecology grants could fund 5 Tacoma stormwater projects (Tacoma Daily Index, December 5, 2014)
- Eco-friendly Cheney Stadium project earns environmental award (Tacoma Daily Index, July 1, 2014)
- City of Tacoma launches online Green Living Guide (Tacoma Daily Index, March 26, 2014)
- Year In Review: Enviro Award for Cheney Stadium Stormwater Project (Tacoma Daily Index, December 27, 2012)
- Cheney Stadium stormwater project earns enviro award (Tacoma Daily Index, May 16, 2012)
- $1.4M project to improve Cheney Stadium parking lot, streets, sidewalks (Tacoma Daily Index, January 4, 2012)
- Tacoma to receive nearly $1M for Pacific Avenue streetscape project (Tacoma Daily Index, August 16, 2011)
- Pierce County partnership creates enviro-friendly stormwater center (Tacoma Daily Index, May 25, 2011)