Tacoma-based McGranahan Architects and Mortenson Construction received the 2015 National Award of Merit in the Educational Facilities category from the Design-Build Institute of America for their collaborative work on the University of Washington Tacoma’s Y Student Center (pictured below).
The $20 million, 70,238-square-foot facility, located at 1710 Market St. near the University of Washington Tacoma campus in downtown Tacoma, opened to the public in January. The project was jointly developed by UW Tacoma and YMCA of Pierce & Kitsap Counties as both a student center and a new YMCA facility. Amenities include assembly space and office space, locker rooms, strength-training offerings, cardio and track components, a climbing wall, and a gymnasium sized to accommodate one NCAA-regulation basketball court.
Sustainability was a focal point throughout the construction, including the demolition of the existing Longshoremen’s Hall. Wood from the building was salvaged and reutilized in a large wall display and a plaque memorializing the structure. LED lighting was also incorporated into the project, resulting in lower energy costs for years to come.
McGranahan Architects and Mortenson Construction will now vie for Project of the Year honors at the Design-Build Institute of America’s conference in Denver, Colo., in November.
Now in its 20th year, the awards program recognizes the project teams that demonstrate best practices in design-build across nine construction categories, while delivering value and innovation to project owners. Design-build is a method of project delivery in which one entity – the design-build team – works under a single contract with the project owner to provide design and construction services. Established in 1993, the Design-Build Institute of America defines, teaches, and promotes best practices in design-build project delivery.
More information is available online at dbia.org.
To read the Tacoma Daily Index‘s complete and comprehensive coverage of the University Y Student Center, click on the following links:
- Downtown Farmers Market, UW Tacoma YMCA earn New Tacoma Awards (Tacoma Daily Index, July 10, 2015)
- EDB picks Top 10 Tacoma, Pierce County projects (Tacoma Daily Index, March 4, 2015)
- Tacoma Daily Index Top Stories — December 2014 (Tacoma Daily Index, Jan. 5, 2015)
- UW Tacoma: University Y Student Center grand opening Jan. 6 (Tacoma Daily Index, Dec. 22, 2014)
- UW Tacoma: Design team selected for University Y Student Center (Tacoma Daily Index, July 22, 2013)
- UW Tacoma, YMCA to partner on new downtown facility (Tacoma Daily Index, Jan. 16, 2013)