The University of Washington Tacomas KeyBank Professional Development Center will be home to a series of three business workshops beginning this month and continuing through the fall.
The Milgard Philosophy
Gary Milgard, president of Milgard Manufacturing, Inc., presents a series of four workshops on business success.
Milgard will share the secrets of his companys business principles in his course, The Milgard Philosophy, at 3:30 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 16 in the Tacoma Room (GWP 320) on the UW Tacoma campus. Advance registration is highly recommended.
The Conversations with Gary Milgard series is the first of several Community Leaders Forums planned by the KeyBank Professional Development Center this year. The Milgard Philosophy will teach how to respect individuals, give customers the best possible service and pursue superior performance.
Other classes include:
– Perspectives on Leadership: What Makes your Business a Success? on Tuesday, Sept. 23. This course explores business philosophy and vision, management systems, human resources role in success, communication, leading by example and social responsibility.
– Management Performance System, on Tuesday, Oct. 7. Learn how to make the human resources performance evaluation process work for your company by using MPS, a structured management system designed to inspire employees to work at their highest levels.
– Customer Service the Milgard Way, on Tuesday, Oct. 14. Discover how to instill an attitude of service commitment throughout the company. Good service is the best marketing tool.
Each workshop will be held from 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. in the Tacoma Room on the UW Tacoma campus. Enrollment is limited. The cost is $55 for each session or $195 for all four.
Performance Improvement Tools
T.S. (Steve) Marshall teaches performance improvement, data collection and data communication in the Performance Improvement Measures workshop series, which begins on Thursday, Sept. 18 on the UW Tacoma campus. Marshall has extensive experience developing and implementing customized education and training programs.
Beginning Friday, Sept. 19, Evelyn Zent, a lecturer in communications and human resources at UW Tacomas Milgard School of Business, teaches courses on effective interpersonal communications and business writing. Zent has taught at the school for eight years and is a former staffing consultant with experience in recruiting, training, staffing and human resource information systems.
Other workshops include:
– Understanding Strategic and Operational Systems, on Thursday Sept. 18. This course will examine the complex structure of operational and strategic systems.
– Performance Measures, on Thursday, Oct. 2. Learn to develop, collect, align, use and assess measurement data, communicate information key to mission success and more.
– Communicating with Data, on Thursday, Oct. 23. Use tables and charts to analyze and communicate data, enhance clarity and credibility, show accountability and more.
Advance registration is required. Tuition is $177 per course or $531 for the entire series.
Communications Workshop Series
– Understanding your Interpersonal Communications Style, on Friday, Sept. 19. Learn four unique communication styles and roles of dominance and sociability in communication. Recommended for front-line supervisors and client service providers.
– Facilitating Trust and Open Communication Through Effective Self-Disclosure, on Friday, Oct. 3. Practice giving and receiving constructive feedback. This class is recommended for staff members who have a great deal of interpersonal interaction, human resources professionals and supervisors or managers with first-line employee relations contact.
– Effective Business Writing, on Friday Oct. 17. Examine a comprehensive overview of the process of writing e-mail and other business correspondence; covers effective copy-editing skills, grammar, organization and drafting techniques.
Advance registration is required. Tuition is $147 per course or $441 for the entire series.
To register for any of the above workshops or request a course schedule, contact the Professional Development Center at 253/692-4618 or visit their Website at: www.tacoma.washington.edu/pdc.
The KeyBank Professional Development Center at UW Tacoma extends the resources of the university to meet a broad array of educational needs in the community.
The center offers a wide range of continuing education opportunities for public- and private-sector professionals and groups in a range of disciplines, including courses, seminars and workshops. The center also designs custom programs to serve organizations and conferences.
The center is made possible at UW Tacoma by a generous gift from KeyBank and the Dimmer Family Foundation.