The City of Tacoma announced Monday it is accepting applications from Tacoma residents interested in volunteering to serve on the 15-member Charter Review Committee.
According to City of Tacoma staff, the existing city charter was adopted in 1953 and comprehensive reviews must be conducted at least once every 10 years. Tacoma voters approve or reject any recommended changes to the city’s charter. The charter was last reviewed in 2004. At that time, the committee recommended 23 charter changes, councilmembers pared that list down to 11 proposed changes, and voters approved all the changes.
The charter, Tacoma’s governing document, is up for review next year. Last week, Tacoma City Council adopted a resolution to begin the process of creating the committee, which will be tasked with making recommendations for changes to the charter and submitting those recommendations to Tacoma City Council by Tues., May 6, 2014. The Mayor and Tacoma City Council will each recommend one individual for appointment. Tacoma City Council’s Government Performance and Finance Committee will recommend an additional six members.
The City of Tacoma is accepting applications until 5 p.m. on Weds., Dec. 4, 2013. Applications may be obtained from the City Clerk’s Office, Room 220, Tacoma Municipal Building, 747 Market St., or online at cityoftacoma.org/cbcapplication. More information is available online at cityoftacoma.org/citycharter.
To read the Tacoma Daily Index‘s complete and comprehensive coverage of Tacoma’s charter review, click on the following links:
- Tacoma City Council OKs Foss Waterway Development Authority appointments, charter review process (Tacoma Daily Index, November 13, 2013)
- Tacoma City Council to discuss charter review, Link light rail expansion (Tacoma Daily Index, November 8, 2013)
- Tacoma City Council to discuss City Charter review process (Tacoma Daily Index, August 19, 2013)
- Council calls for the election of Charter Review commissioners (Tacoma Daily Index, May 18, 2005)
- Vote ‘No’ on Proposition 2 (Tacoma Daily Index, October 26, 2004)
- My Two Cents: Full printing of ordinances in city’s best interests (Tacoma Daily Index, May 3, 2004)
- Recommendations from Charter Review Committee at tonight’s public hearing (Tacoma Daily Index, April 29, 2004)
- Charter Review Committee on track (Tacoma Daily Index, March 24, 2004)
- Group again pushing for city government change (Tacoma Daily Index, February 26, 2004)
- Charter Review Committee seeks public input (Tacoma Daily Index, February 25, 2004)
- Citizens wanted for Charter Review Committee (Tacoma Daily Index, August 15, 2003)
- Council to consider city charter review (Tacoma Daily Index, August 8, 2003)