Officials at the Tacoma Historical Society announced Thursday they will open a new exhibit center this spring in downtown Tacoma.
According to Tacoma Historical Society Treasurer Deb Freedman, the organization signed a five-year lease for space in the historic Provident Building, located at 919 Pacific Avenue. “The front of the space offers room for rotating exhibits, a research area and program-related retail merchandise,” said Freedman. “In addition to a rear workroom and meeting room, we have leased an adjoining suite with enough space for our collection of artifacts, documents and photos.”
It isn’t the first time the Tacoma Historical Society has had a presence in downtown Tacoma. In December 2005, the organization opened an exhibit center at 747 Broadway and presented a variety of exhibits, including historic postcards, a history of Tacoma passenger trains, the city’s early maritime history, and Tacoma’s architectural history. The venue closed in December 2009, however, due to the down economy, according to an organization spokesperson.
The Tacoma Historical Society will begin the first phase of its relocation this weekend by moving more than 500 bound volumes of newspapers from its current facility at 3712 South Cedar Street beginning at 11 a.m. on Sun., Feb. 23. If you would like to volunteer to help the Tacoma Historical Society during its move, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. More information is available online at tacomahistory.org.
“Our anticipated hours are Wednesday through Saturday, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., beginning in April or late March,” added Freedman, referring to the exhibit center’s grand opening and hours of operation. “The exact date is still being worked out.”
To read the Tacoma Daily Index’s complete and comprehensive coverage of the Tacoma Historical Society, click on the following links:
- ‘Vanishing Tacoma’: New book highlights city’s changed urban landscape (Tacoma Daily Index, November 14, 2013)
- Local sports focus of Tacoma Historical Society fundraiser Oct. 20 (Tacoma Daily Index, October 7, 2013)
- 4 locals receive Tacoma Historical Society awards (Tacoma Daily Index, April 9, 2013)
- 3 locals receive Tacoma Historical Society awards (Tacoma Daily Index, April 11, 2012)
- Tacoma Historical Society to screen rare 1929 film (Tacoma Daily Index, April 9, 2012)
- Tacoma Historical Society: Author to discuss Puget Sound rescue boats Feb. 9 (Tacoma Daily Index, February 7, 2012)
- Author to discuss Tacoma’s North Slope history (Tacoma Daily Index, October 12, 2011)
- THS meeting April 12 features Harry P. Cain biographer (Tacoma Daily Index, April 5, 2010)
- Tacoma Historical Society will close downtown exhibit center (Tacoma Daily Index, December 4, 2009)
- Building History: THS exhibit celebrates downtown Tacoma’s architectural icons (Tacoma Daily Index, July 16, 2009)
- New THS exhibit highlights downtown Tacoma architecture (Tacoma Daily Index, July 2, 2009)
- 2 receive Tacoma Historical Society Awards (Tacoma Daily Index, April 17, 2009)
- Ahoy History Buffs! (Tacoma Daily Index, October 23, 2008)
- Donation will help preserve Tacoma Historical Society’s artifacts collection (Tacoma Daily Index, August 26, 2008)
- City’s streetcar legacy will highlight Tacoma Historical Society fall fundraiser (Tacoma Daily Index, August 18, 2008)
- Long Distance Memories: A lifelong, photographic tour through Tacoma’s passenger train history(Tacoma Daily Index, July 2, 2008)
- A bid for Tacoma’s historic stewardship (Tacoma Daily Index, October 3, 2007)
- “Wish you were there . . . “ (Tacoma Daily Index, April 27, 2007)