Local residents can learn more about the proposed Eastside Community Center during a public open house this month in Tacoma.
Metro Parks Tacoma is working with Tacoma Public Schools, the City of Tacoma, Tacoma Housing Authority, the Greater Metro Parks Foundation, and other community partners to develop plans for the Eastside Community Center, which will include an event space, an aquatics center, and a variety of multi-use activity spaces. The facility will be built on the campus of First Creek Middle School, located at East 56th Street and Portland Avenue. Metro Parks Tacoma and a growing group of government, private sector, and non-profit partners continue to discuss options for building, operating, and maintaining a facility that provides healthy and safe activities for youth and residents.
“We have collected lots of feedback from community partners, including a steering committee of local residents and leaders,” said Andrea Smith, a member of the Metro Parks Tacoma Board of Commissioners who serves on the project’s Executive Committee. “There is still a lot of work to be done, but this is a good time to stop and give the public the opportunity to look over the work done so far, share comments, and ask questions.”
The open house will be held on Weds., Nov. 18, between 6 p.m. and 8 p.m., at Salishan Family Investment Center, located at 1724 E. 44th St., in Tacoma. ARC Architects, which has led the design team, will share visuals of the work completed so far. Metro Parks Tacoma managers also will be available to provide updates about conversations with community organizations regarding programs that might be offered at the center.
More information is available online at metroparkstacoma.org/eastside.
To read the Tacoma Daily Index‘s complete and comprehensive coverage of the proposed Eastside Community Center, click on the following links:
- THE METROPOLITAN PARK DISTRICT OF TACOMA Request For Qualifications for (Tacoma Daily Index, July 17, 2015)
- Metro Parks Tacoma December 1, 2014 Request for Qualifications Architecture, (Tacoma Daily Index, Dec. 2, 2014)
- Feasibility study completed for Eastside Tacoma Community Center (Tacoma Daily Index, March 26, 2014)
- City Hall News: Tacoma’s Auto Row, cop cars for sale, and open space land donation (Tacoma Daily Index, March 21, 2014)
- Metro Parks Tacoma: Open house scheduled for proposed Eastside Community Center (Tacoma Daily Index, Dec. 9, 2013)
- Metro Parks Tacoma: Open house planned for Eastside Community Center (Tacoma Daily Index, Oct. 23, 2013)
- REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL In partnership with three other local public (Tacoma Daily Index, March 19, 2013)
- A community center for Tacoma’s eastside? (Tacoma Daily Index, Oct. 18, 2012)