The University of Washington Tacoma will formally mark the renovation and grand opening of its newest arts center next month.
The Whitney Building, a former Japanese Methodist Episcopal Church built in 1929 and located at 1901 Fawcett Avenue, was designed by architect George W. Bullard, according to records at the Tacoma Public Library. It later became the Whitney Memorial United Methodist Church. The building was sold to the university in 1999, and was known as the Abbey Ballroom before it was renovated into the 11,000 square foot Whitney Arts Center earlier this year. The building has been given new life as an arts facility for University of Washington Tacoma students and faculty.
To formally open the renovated building, the university is hosting an event featuring student art, activities and refreshments on Thurs., Jan. 16 between 5:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. The university has created a Web site for guests to RSVP online here.