The Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber announced Tuesday it has presented the 2014 Howard O. Scott Citizen-Airman of the Year Award to Master Sergeant Lance Nelson, a long-time loadmaster in the 729th Airlift Squadron, 446th Airlift Wing at Joint Base Lewis McChord-McChord Field, where he also serves as flight leader in the squadron and manages training for his flight.
In addition to his military service, Master Sergeant Nelson volunteers at the West Pierce Fire and Rescue, where he teaches children in elementary schools fire prevention and life safety, and appears in the Fire Prevention Week assemblies at various schools, and participates in the Read Across America Program by visiting classrooms to read to children; Evergreen Elementary School, where he is the current Evergreen Elementary School PTA President and has been a member of the PTA for the last seven years; Bethel School District Long Range Facilities Planning Team, where he represents Evergreen Elementary School to develop a list of projects to present to the school board for the next bond issue; Bethel Recreation Association, where he has coached basketball, football, soccer, and baseball; and Boy Scouts of America, where he is active in troop campouts, fundraising, and meeting management.
Each year, the Citizen-Soldier Award, which is sponsored by America’s Credit Union, memorializes Howard O. Scott, who grew up in Tacoma, served during World War II, and retired as a Tacoma banker who volunteered for a range of community service organizations.
To read the Tacoma Daily Index‘s complete and comprehensive coverage of the Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber’s Annual Howard O. Scott Citizen-Airman of the Year Award, click on the following links:
- Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber selects Citizen-Soldier Award recipient (Tacoma Daily Index, April 17, 2013)
- Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber announces 2012 Citizen-Soldier Award recipient (Tacoma Daily Index, April 25, 2012)
- Chamber honors 2011 Citizen-Soldier (Tacoma Daily Index, April 26, 2011)
- Tacoma reservist receives Chamber’s Citizen-Soldier award (Tacoma Daily Index, May 6, 2010)
- Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber names Citizen-Soldier Award recipient (Tacoma Daily Index, May 7, 2009)
- Chamber honors Citizen-Soldier of the Year (Tacoma Daily Index, April 21, 2006)
- Senior Airman Terri Rollins honored by Chamber (Tacoma Daily Index, April 16, 2003)