The Tacoma Fire Department hosted a public remembrance ceremony at Marine Park along Ruston Way Thursday morning to mark the 13th anniversary of the 9/11 tragedy.
Guest speakers included Tacoma Mayor Marilyn Strickland, Tacoma Fire Chief James P. Duggan, and retired New York Fire Department Lieutenant James Joyce. Lieutenant Joyce helped dedicate a piece of World Trade Center steel at the Tacoma Firefighters Memorial, which is located at 3301 Ruston Way.
The event was part of a nationwide salute to firefighters, police officers, emergency medical services workers, and civilians whose lives were forever changed on Sept. 11, 2001, when terrorists attacked the World Trade Center in New York City and the Pentagon in Washington, D.C., killing nearly 3,000 people.
“We are grateful to those who joined us in honoring the heroes and victims of 9/11,” said a Tacoma Fire Department spokesperson. “Thank you for helping us keep our nation’s solemn vow to never forget the sacrifices made.”
To read the Tacoma Daily Index‘s complete and comprehensive coverage of the Tacoma Fire Department’s 9/11 Remembrance Ceremonies, click on the following links:
- Tacoma firefighters remember 9/11 tragedy (Tacoma Daily Index, Sept. 12, 2013)
- Tacoma remembers 9/11 (Tacoma Daily Index, September 11, 2012)
- Tacoma Fire hosts remembrance ceremony Sept. 11 (Tacoma Daily Index, Sept. 8, 2011)
- Tacoma firefighters join 9/11 cross-country motorcycle ride (Tacoma Daily Index, Sept. 2, 2011)
- Tacoma Fire hosts remembrance ceremony Sept. 11 (Tacoma Daily Index, Sept. 9, 2009)
- Tacoma Fire Dept. ceremony will remember 9/11 (Tacoma Daily Index, Sept. 10, 2008)
- Tacoma firefighters mark 9/11 anniversary (Tacoma Daily Index, Sept. 11, 2007)
- Several local commemorations will remember, reflect on 9/11 terrorist attacks (Tacoma Daily Index, Sept. 10, 2003)
- Several September 11 tributes set for South Sound (Tacoma Daily Index, Sept. 10, 2002)
- Cheney Stadium to host 9/11 tribute (Tacoma Daily Index, Sept. 3, 2002)