The City of Tacoma has issued a Request For Bids from contractors to repair and stabilize portions of Old City hall in downtown Tacoma, according to a legal notice published today in the Tacoma Daily Index.
Bid documents prepared by City staff show the project involves the construction and installation of wooden window arch supports at 12 locations, the installation of netting to support the building’s metal cornices, and limited repointing of existing masonry and masonry repair. Contractors interested in the project are invited to attend a building site visit at 9 a.m. on Thurs., April 14, to view the roof and window interiors.
The project budget is estimated at $130,000. The bid deadline expires at 11 a.m. on Weds., April 20.
Old City Hall, located at 625 S. Commerce St., was built in 1892 and originally included the offices of the mayor, city council, municipal court, public library, and public utilities. It was then renovated in 1974 for commercial office use with some ground floor retail use, and sold in 2005 with plans for conversion to residential use. Those plans did not materialize and the building has been vacant for a number of years, suffering from neglect, flooding, and other damage, according to City officials.
The City purchased the property for approximately $4 million last summer. In September, the City invited developers to submit proposals to adaptively re-use the building. In November, City officials announced they planned to negotiate a development agreement with Portland, Ore.-based McMenamins to convert the building into a 60-room boutique hotel that will include several bars, a rooftop restaurant, meeting and event spaces, and a gift shop.
To read the Tacoma Daily Index‘s complete and comprehensive coverage of Old City Hall, click on the following links:
- City of Tacoma issues RFI for Old City Hall (Tacoma Daily Index, Sept. 8, 2015)
- Tacoma could spend $4M to purchase historic Old City Hall (Tacoma Daily Index, May 29, 2015)
- Cause No. 10-2-06120-2 SHERIFF’S PUBLIC NOTICE OF SALE OF REAL (Tacoma Daily Index, April 15, 2015)
- Washington Trust seeks nominees for 2015 Most Endangered Historic Properties List (Tacoma Daily Index, Nov. 21, 2014)
- Tacoma Public Library offers Old City Hall Historic District walking tour (Tacoma Daily Index, June 12, 2014)
- Walk Tacoma series continues May 7 with historic architecture tour (Tacoma Daily Index, April 29, 2014)
- Tacoma honored for historic preservation legislation (Tacoma Daily Index, April 9, 2014)
- Year In Review: Historic Preservation Legislation (Tacoma Daily Index, Dec. 26, 2013)
- Building inspector’s report shows more work needed at ‘derelict’ Old City Hall (Tacoma Daily Index, Jan. 19, 2012)
- Transient linked to Old City Hall fire (Tacoma Daily Index, Jan. 6, 2012)
- Hope for Old City Hall? Historic Tacoma tours iconic, derelict building (Tacoma Daily Index, June 7, 2011)
- Inside Old City Hall (Tacoma Daily Index, May 26, 2011)
- Historic preservation group calls Tacoma’s Old City Hall ‘endangered’ (Tacoma Daily Index, May 24, 2011)
- More trouble for Old City Hall? (Tacoma Daily Index, March 28, 2011)
- Inspector’s report offers grim glimpse inside ‘derelict’ Old City Hall (Tacoma Daily Index, Jan. 4, 2011)
- Historic Buildings, Historic Recession: Questions for Old City Hall owner George Webb (Tacoma Daily Index, Dec. 17, 2010)
- Hope for Old City Hall? Building clean-up, foreclosure prevention efforts under way, says owner (Tacoma Daily Index, Dec. 14, 2010)
- Tacoma City Council to receive Old City Hall update Dec. 14 (Tacoma Daily Index, Dec. 10, 2010)
- Bank publishes notice to foreclose on Old City Hall; City to study public development authority for historic buildings (Tacoma Daily Index, Dec. 9, 2010)
- Old City Hall for sale (Tacoma Daily Index, Jan. 7, 2008)
- History Makers (Tacoma Daily Index, Nov. 21, 2006)
- City briefed on proposed changes to historic preservation ordinance (Tacoma Daily Index, Sept. 28, 2005)
- Wolfe Joins Tacoma Photo Studio (Tacoma Daily Index, Oct. 6, 1999)