Tacoma residents, ages 13 – 19, are encouraged to apply by Nov. 27, 2018 for a spot on the Mayor’s Youth Engagement Task Force. The Mayor’s Youth Engagement Task Force is responsible for helping the City establish its very first Youth Commission and improve upon existing youth-focused programs.
“Young people are impacted every day by the decisions made in our community,” said Mayor Woodards. “Our youth should have a voice at the table and a way to weigh in on the policies we consider as lawmakers. It is never ‘too early’ to participate in shaping Tacoma’s future. The time is now, and I am looking forward to hearing the recommendations made by this task force.”
Prospective applicants will be evaluated by a group of community stakeholders as well as City staff. Finalists will be presented to the City Council for further consideration and possible appointment Dec. 18, 2018.
Appointed members will serve from January 2019 – June 2019, meeting twice a month for meetings approximately three hours long. Meetings will be held at City Hall, and various public spaces around Tacoma with food and travel assistance provided. Through the course of their work, members will:
* Learn from key community and City leaders and build new relationships
* Cultivate a deeper understanding of local government and civic engagement
* Develop the standard for youth engagement in Tacoma
* Gain public speaking, facilitation, organizing and communication skills
* Receive a letter of recommendation and public recognition from the Mayor and City Council for their service
* Receive two graded class credits through Next Move (Tacoma Public Schools students)
Questions or requests for additional information may be directed to Management Fellow Bucoda Warren at email@example.com or (253) 594-7925.
– City of Tacoma