This year’s event, entitled “Team Tacoma,” honors Tacoma’s rich history of sports. The program includes Lincoln High School graduate, former NFL football player, and current Lincoln High School coach and teacher Jon Kitna; a ceremony to honor the 70th anniversary of the Tacoma Athletic Commission; a special tribute to Stan Naccarato and Doug McArthur; a remembrance of Clay Huntington and Marv Harshman; and the presentation of Tacoma Historical Society’s Star of Destiny Award. The event will be emceed by Mike Stortini and Joe Stortini.
Auction items include a party for up to 16 people aboard the historic yacht “El Primero,” recently restored and returned to Tacoma, where it was previously owned by Chester Thorne and Sam Perkins; a framed three-foot panoramic photo of the first pitch at Safeco Field courtesy of Ron Karabaich of Old Town Photo; dinner at BITE and an overnight stay for two at Tacoma’s Hotel Murano; tickets for four aboard the Destiny Harbor Tours of Tacoma or Gig Harbor; $200 wine-tasting party for up to 25 people at Vino Aquino on Sixth Avenue; food baskets from Trader Joe’s and Harbor Greens; gift packages from local companies such as Tacoma Screw Products and Griot’s Garage; a chance to win a weekend at a cabin near Lake Cushman, along with a $100 gift card from Fred Meyer; and a wide variety of sports memorabilia.
This year’s event will be held at Cheney Stadium’s Summit Club Room on Sun., Oct. 20. According to Tacoma Historical Society’s Dale Wirsing, nearly 100 of the 120 available seats have already been reserved. Reservation forms are available online at tacomahistory.org/pageimages/pdf_files/2013DestinyDInnerInvite.pdf.
More information is available online at tacomahistory.org.
To read the Tacoma Daily Index‘s complete and comprehensive coverage of the Tacoma Historical Society, click on the following links:
- 4 locals receive Tacoma Historical Society awards (Tacoma Daily Index, April 9, 2013)
- 3 locals receive Tacoma Historical Society awards (Tacoma Daily Index, April 11, 2012)
- Tacoma Historical Society to screen rare 1929 film (Tacoma Daily Index, April 9, 2012)
- Tacoma Historical Society: Author to discuss Puget Sound rescue boats Feb. 9 (Tacoma Daily Index, February 7, 2012)
- Author to discuss Tacoma’s North Slope history (Tacoma Daily Index, October 12, 2011)
- THS meeting April 12 features Harry P. Cain biographer (Tacoma Daily Index, April 5, 2010)
- Tacoma Historical Society will close downtown exhibit center (Tacoma Daily Index, December 4, 2009)
- Building History: THS exhibit celebrates downtown Tacoma’s architectural icons (Tacoma Daily Index, July 16, 2009)
- 2 receive Tacoma Historical Society Awards (Tacoma Daily Index, April 17, 2009)
- Ahoy History Buffs! (Tacoma Daily Index, October 23, 2008)
- Donation will help preserve Tacoma Historical Society’s artifacts collection (Tacoma Daily Index, August 26, 2008)
- City’s streetcar legacy will highlight Tacoma Historical Society fall fundraiser (Tacoma Daily Index, August 18, 2008)
- Long Distance Memories: A lifelong, photographic tour through Tacoma’s passenger train history (Tacoma Daily Index, July 2, 2008)
- A bid for Tacoma’s historic stewardship (Tacoma Daily Index, October 3, 2007)
- “Wish you were there . . . “ (Tacoma Daily Index, April 27, 2007)