Tacoma Goodwill celebrated the opening of its new South Hill store this morning. The brand new 15,923-square-foot facility is located at 129th & Meridian, next to Rite-Aid.
South Hill Goodwill will employ approximately 31 people in its retail, production and donation activities, according to retail sales manager Dan Palmer.
The public grand opening celebration featured a ribbon-cutting following brief remarks from Goodwill officials.
So, were excited to be here, said Tacoma Goodwill CEO Terry Hayes, explaining the new store replaces a smaller Goodwill store that was located just down the street.
Were happy to be here after about a one-year absence, said Goodwill Board President Don Anderson, describing South Hill as a strong collection point for donations. Were really excited to be here.
Grand opening festivities included giveaways to the first 250 shoppers, near hourly door prizes of fair tickets and movie tickets, and a weekend prize drawing for a pair of Bill Cosby tickets, a digital camera, and a new Apple mini iPod.
Even before the stores official 9 a.m. opening, a long line of people snaked along the side of the front of the building waiting to get in.
You have to give us 15 seconds to get out of the way, quipped Hayes just before the doors opened and people streamed into the store.
The South Hill Goodwill store also offers a drive-through location to drop off gently used clothing and household items, where tax receipts are given for these donations.
Goodwill stores offer low prices on a variety of merchandise including clothing, toys, furniture, books, shoes, accessories, housewares and collectibles.
For more information about South Hill Goodwill, call 800-582-7980 or visit the Tacoma Goodwill Website at www.tacomagoodwill.org.
The first sign you see when you enter the new South Hill Goodwill states, Helping people with special needs through education, training and job opportunities. This is Goodwills mission in the community and the reason for the newest of its 19 thrift stores.
The stores provide the bulk of revenues for Goodwill vocational programs. As an international organization, Goodwill is one of the worlds largest nonprofit providers of employment and training services for people with disabilities and other barriers to work barriers such as welfare dependency, illiteracy and homelessness.
Goodwill also plays a major role in recycling goods of all kinds.
Architects BCRA and Rushforth Construction are the the project architect and contractor, respectively.
SOUTH HILL GOODWILL STORE AT A GLANCE
– What is Goodwill? Its a non-profit provider of vocational services for individuals with disabilities, disadvantages and other special needs. Generated revenues fund community-based job training, placement and support programs that help people achieve independence and self-sufficiency. Attended donation stations supply donors with a tax receipt.
– Store sells: Mostly used clothing, linens, accessories, housewares, small appliances, collectibles, books, recordings, toys, sports equipment, furniture. Price range depends on item. Some special purchase items are new.
– Location: 12915 Meridian East
– Phone: 253/ 848-6620
– Manager: Craig Vernon
– Hours: Monday-Saturday, 9 a.m.- 9 p.m. Sunday, 10 a.m.- 6 p.m.
– South Hill Goodwill is part of the Tacoma Goodwill Industries network, which serves fourteen counties in Washington state.