The City of Tacoma will celebrate National Historic Preservation Month with a series of events throughout the month of May.
Tacoma’s 2015 theme is “I Heart Tacoma: Celebrate Tacoma’s Unique Cultural Heritage,” and the events this year aim to encourage residents from all ages, cultures, and neighborhoods to show their love for Tacoma’s heritage and historical sites.
Here is a look at the schedule of events:
- Fri., May 1, at 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. | Historic Preservation Month Kick Off – Historic Tacoma’s Postcard Exchange Event (organized by Historic Tacoma)
- Sat., May 2, at 1 p.m. | Historic Homes of Tacoma Tour (organized by the Tacoma Historical Society)
- Sat., May 2, at 1 p.m. | Photo Scavenger Hunt (organized by Earthwise Architectural Salvage)
- Sun., May 3, at 1 p.m. | Historic Homes of Tacoma Tour (organized by the Tacoma Historical Society)
- Tues., May 5, at 5 p.m. | Tacoma City Council Proclamation for Historic Preservation Month
- Sat., May 9, at 11 a.m. | The Amazing Preservation Race (organized City of Tacoma’s Historic Preservation Office and local partners)
- Fri., May 15, at 6 p.m. | City of Destiny Poetry Slam – Hilltop Edition (organized by Write@253, City of Destiny Poetry Slams, and the City of Tacoma’s Historic Preservation Office)
- Sat., May 30, at 10:30 a.m. | Tacoma Tweed Ride (organized by the City of Tacoma’s Office of Environmental Policy and Sustainability and Historic Preservation Office)
- Sun., May 31, at 2 p.m. | The City of Tacoma’s Landmarks Preservation Commission Historic Preservation Month Reception and Awards
More information on Historic Preservation Month activities is available online at cityoftacoma.org/HPM.