Two local residents could be appointed to the City of Tacoma’s Citizen Review Panel this month.
The seven-member, policy-focused board aims to help ensure transparency and accountability in the way the Tacoma Police Department operates. The Citizen Review Panel is responsible for reviewing police policy at the request of Tacoma City Council or Tacoma’s City Manager; receiving and reviewing policy complaints by members of the public; and providing advice to Tacoma City Council, Tacoma’s City Manager, and Tacoma’s Chief of Police on Tacoma Police Department policy matters. The panel also provides community outreach and education through public hearings and other efforts.
Qualified applicants will be screened by a criminal background check and must be a registered voter; have lived in Tacoma for at least two years immediately before applying; not hold any other elected public office; not currently serve as a member of the Tacoma Police Department; or be an immediate family member of a department employee.
The City of Tacoma issued a call for applicants in July. Four candidates applied to fill one unexpired term and one three-year term: Steven Balogh (District 3); John “Jack” Cameron (District 2); Katie Evans (District 3); and Daniel Thomasson (District 4). Citizen Review Panel members currently include William King (District 5); Keith James (District 3); Michelle Franklin-Wilson (District 3); Jean McCord; and Ryan Webster (District 2). Tacoma City Council’s Public Safety, Human Services and Education Committee interviewed the applicants during a public meeting in August. The committee has recommended Evans and Thomasson be appointed to the Citizen Review Panel.
Tacoma City Council is tentatively scheduled to vote on a resolution to confirm the appointments during a public meeting on Tues., Sept. 16, at 5 p.m. at the Tacoma Municipal Building, 747 Market St., City Council Chambers, in downtown Tacoma.
To read the Tacoma Daily Index‘s complete and comprehensive coverage of Tacoma’s Citizen Review Panel, click on the following links:
- 4 candidates apply to serve on Tacoma’s Citizen Review Panel (Tacoma Daily Index, August 26, 2014)
- City seeks applicants for Tacoma Citizen Review Panel (Tacoma Daily Index, July 17, 2014)
- Tacoma seeks to fill 10 positions on 4 citizen committees (Tacoma Daily Index, November 18, 2013)
- City of Tacoma: Applicants needed to fill 12 open seats on 4 citizen panels (Tacoma Daily Index, July 12, 2013)
- Volunteer needed for Tacoma’s Citizen Review Panel (Tacoma Daily Index, February 22, 2012)
- Volunteers needed for Citizen Review Panel (Tacoma Daily Index, August 9, 2010)
- Citizen Review Panel to host community meeting Dec. 4 (Tacoma Daily Index, December 4, 2007)
- Citizen Review Panel to host community meeting Nov. 15 (Tacoma Daily Index, November 13, 2007)
- Citizen Review Panel to host second community meeting Nov. 5 (Tacoma Daily Index, November 5, 2007)
- Citizen Review Panel to host community meetings (Tacoma Daily Index, October 19, 2007)
- City seeks volunteers for Citizen Review Panel (Tacoma Daily Index, June 14, 2006)