The public is invited to attend a rededication ceremony of the City of Tacoma’s new War Memorial Park at 10 a.m. on Saturday, May 13. The new park replaces the original War Memorial Park, built in 1952, which was located in the path of the new Tacoma Narrows Bridge. As part of the bridge construction project, the park was relocated at the southeast corner of Jackson Avenue and State Route 16. It includes 3.7 acres of manicured lawn, garden beds and the original memorial monuments from the first park that honor veterans of the armed forces.
As parking is limited at the new War Memorial Park site, event attendees are encouraged to park at nearby Tacoma Community College (TCC) located at the corner of South Mildred Street and South 19th Street in Tacoma. Beginning at 8:30 a.m., Pierce Transit will provide free express bus service (from the transit center) between TCC and the park. Attendees may park in the TCC lot. Buses will leave and return to TCC every 10 minutes; the last express bus will leave the park at 1:30 p.m.
For more information on the new bridge and on Saturday’s ceremony, visit http://www.tacomanarrowsbridge.com .