The University of Washington Tacoma will host the 8th Annual MLK Unity Breakfast in January to recognize and celebrate the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and his historic civic leadership that inspired a nation to strive for equality.
This year marks the 60th Anniversary of the Brown vs. Board of Education Supreme Court decision that declared “separate but equal” unconstitutional and began the integration of the public school system, forever changing the educational landscape in America. This gathering honors the message of Dr. King and the progress he continues to inspire.
To recognize this important event in the civil rights movement, the landmark Supreme Court decision that desegregated public education, the organizing committee has invited Cheryl Brown Henderson to give the keynote address at this year’s MLK Unity Breakfast. Brown Henderson is one of the three daughters of the late Reverend Oliver L. Brown, who, along with 12 other parents led by the NAACP, filed a lawsuit against the local Board of Education in Topeka, Kan., on behalf of their children in the historic case Brown vs. Board of Education. Upon appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court, the case became the lead among five other legal challenges. Oliver Brown died in 1961 before knowing the impact his case would have on the country. Brown Henderson has an extensive background in education, business and civic leadership.
The breakfast will also feature performances by local Gospel Group, Jerusalem’s Gate, Kellie Richardson (renowned local spoken word artist/poet), and UW Student talent.
The 8th Annual MLK Unity Breakfast will be held on Mon., Jan. 20, between 8 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. at the University of Washington Tacoma, William W. Philip Hall, 1918 Pacific Ave., in downtown Tacoma.
The Unity Breakfast was established by the Black Student Union to celebrate the legacy of Dr. King, and inspire members of the campus community to continue to work to make his vision of an equitable society a reality. The program recognizes students, faculty, and community members for outstanding service to the community through the Dream Awards which are presented during the program. The breakfast is planned with an inclusion of area youth and strives to provide opportunities for service and reflection through the Week of Service events.
This year’s Unity Breakfast is co-sponsored by the Division of Student and Enrollment Services and the Black Student Union.
More information is available online at tacoma.uw.edu/events/content/2014-mlk-jr-unity-breakfast.
To read the Tacoma Daily Index‘s complete and comprehensive coverage of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. events and activities in Tacoma, click on the following links:
- City of Tacoma accepting nominations for MLK Community Service Award (Tacoma Daily Index, November 7, 2013)
- 2 downtown Tacoma events will mark MLK Jr. Day (Tacoma Daily Index, January 7, 2013)
- New edition of UW Tacoma professor’s book of MLK’s speeches (Tacoma Daily Index, January 9, 2012)
- Tacoma celebrates Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Jan. 16 (Tacoma Daily Index, January 3, 2012)
- UW Tacoma professor earns Guggenheim award (Tacoma Daily Index, April 13, 2011)
- UW Tacoma professor’s book offers forgotten layer of MLK legacy (Tacoma Daily Index, January 11, 2011)
- Celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Jan. 17 (Tacoma Daily Index, December 28, 2010)
- Civil rights leaders visit UW Tacoma Wednesday (Tacoma Daily Index, October 25, 2010)
- Celebrate “Unity in the Community” Jan. 18 (Tacoma Daily Index, January 11, 2010)
- City to host 21st annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. celebration (Tacoma Daily Index, January 16, 2009)
- City offices closed Jan. 19 (Tacoma Daily Index, January 16, 2009)
- UW Tacoma civil rights, MLK historian reflects on Obama presidency (Tacoma Daily Index, November 10, 2008)
- Audition for the City of Tacoma’s Martin Luther King Jr. celebration (Tacoma Daily Index, July 10, 2008)
- UWT professor earns Kennedy Book Award (Tacoma Daily Index, May 28, 2008)
- UW Tacoma history professor earns civil rights award (Tacoma Daily Index, March 31, 2008)
- City offices closed Jan. 21; garbage, recycling, yard waste collection on regular schedule (Tacoma Daily Index, January 18, 2008)
- City, TV Tacoma celebrate MLK holiday Jan. 21 (Tacoma Daily Index, January 11, 2008)
- Open auditions underway for the 2008 Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration (Tacoma Daily Index, June 25, 2007)
- City to host 18th annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday Celebration (Tacoma Daily Index, January 9, 2006)
- Entertainers needed for MLK celebration (Tacoma Daily Index, September 21, 2005)
- Performers wanted for MLK celebration (Tacoma Daily Index, October 16, 2003)
- MLK birthday celebration at Tacoma Dome (Tacoma Daily Index, January 14, 2002)
- City of Tacoma News: His dream in their hands this Monday (Tacoma Daily Index, January 11, 2000)
- City of Tacoma News City’s MLK Day Celebration Set (Tacoma Daily Index, December 14, 1999)