Metro Parks Tacoma will mark the completion of a wide range of improvements to Franklin Park.
Some of the new park project amenities include a new sprayground, expanded community garden, new walking trails, plaza space, and a picnic shelter. The work was funded by an $84.3 million parks improvement bond measure approved by the citizens of Tacoma in November 2005.
The public is invited to participate in a celebration on Thurs., June 6 between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. at Franklin Park, located at 1201 S. Puget Sound Ave.
Franklin Park covers an area of more than 20 acres extending from Lawrence Street to Puget Sound and from South 12th to South 16th. The majority of the land was a gift to the Metropolitan Park District of Tacoma from the West End Playground Association in 1937 for a “perpetual public park and playground.” The new park was named Franklin Park due to its proximity to Franklin Elementary School.
More information is available online at metroparkstacoma.org/franklin-park/.