Tacoma Historical Society will discuss Murray Morgan Bridge

The past, present and uncertain future of Tacoma’s Murray Morgan Bridge will be discussed when Dr. Jim Hoard addresses the Tacoma Historical Society Mon., Feb. 11 at Tacoma Public Library, 1102 Tacoma Ave. S. The meeting, which is free and open to the public, begins at 7 p.m. in the main auditorium.
Hoard is president of the Tacoma Historical Society and one of the organizers of the Save Our Bridge organization. Since it opened in 1913, the Murray Morgan Bridge has been a vital link from downtown Tacoma to the Tideflats. In 2003, when it appeared that the state intended to close and demolish the landmark bridge, the City Council voted 9-0 to save it. In 2004 the Legislature authorized transfer of the bridge to the City of Tacoma and allocated $26.5 million for the city. The city and the state have been negotiating the exact terms of the transfer since that time.
In October 2007 the state Department of Transportation closed the bridge, citing safety concerns.The bridge is a signature part of Tacoma’s skyline and is on the National Register of Historic Places.The bridge was renamed in 1997 for Murray Morgan, a Tacoma native and a pre-eminent Northwest historian. It was previously known as the 11th Street Bridge.
For additional information, visit http://www.tacomahistory.org or call (253) 472-3738.