The 61-year-old charter serves as Tacoma’s governing document and is reviewed every 10 years by a citizens committee. Any proposed changes are then reviewed by councilmembers before they are approved or rejected by Tacoma voters. Ten years ago, the committee recommended nearly two-dozen charter changes. Councilmembers pared that list down to 11 proposed changes, and voters approved all the changes.
Earlier this month, Tacoma City Council appointed 15 people to serve on the committee, which will review the city’s charter and make recommendations for changes this spring. Committee members include Bill Baarsma (Chair), Theresa Baker, Gary Brackett, Mabel Edmonds,Tim Farrell, Eric Hahn, Charles Horne, Justin Leighton, Mark Martinez, James Merritt, John Messina, Kenneth Miller, Patricia Talton, Catherine Ushka, and Justin Van Dyk.
The Charter Review Committee’s next meeting will be held on Mon., Feb. 3, at 7 p.m. in Room 16 of the Tacoma Municipal Building North, located at 733 Market St. The committee has also named Jeanne Harris as its liaison. The committee plans to meet every Monday and Wednesday at the same time and in the same location until it submits its final recommendations to councilmembers by Tues., May 6.
More information is available online at cityoftacoma.org/charterreview.
To read the Tacoma Daily Index‘s complete and comprehensive coverage of Tacoma’s charter review, click on the following links:
- Tacoma City Council OKs charter review committee appointments (Tacoma Daily Index, Jan. 8, 2014)
- City Hall News: Charter Review appointments, Hilltop development discussion and Deputy Mayor Woodards (Tacoma Daily Index, Jan. 3, 2014)
- 14 candidates apply to serve on Tacoma’s Charter Review Committee (Tacoma Daily Index, Dec. 16, 2013)
- Tacoma City Council to discuss District 1 candidate interviews, Jefferson Avenue alignment (Tacoma Daily Index, Dec. 13, 2013)
- Tacoma City Council OKs Foss Waterway Development Authority appointments, charter review process (Tacoma Daily Index, Nov. 13, 2013)
- Tacoma City Council to discuss charter review, Link light rail expansion (Tacoma Daily Index, Nov. 8, 2013)
- Tacoma City Council to discuss City Charter review process (Tacoma Daily Index, Aug. 19, 2013)
- Council calls for the election of Charter Review commissioners (Tacoma Daily Index, May 18, 2005)
- Vote ‘No’ on Proposition 2 (Tacoma Daily Index, Oct. 26, 2004)
- My Two Cents: Full printing of ordinances in city’s best interests (Tacoma Daily Index, May 3, 2004)
- Recommendations from Charter Review Committee at tonight’s public hearing (Tacoma Daily Index, April 29, 2004)
- Charter Review Committee on track (Tacoma Daily Index, March 24, 2004)
- Group again pushing for city government change (Tacoma Daily Index, Feb. 26, 2004)
- Charter Review Committee seeks public input (Tacoma Daily Index, Feb. 25, 2004)
- Citizens wanted for Charter Review Committee (Tacoma Daily Index, Aug. 15, 2003)
- Council to consider city charter review (Tacoma Daily Index, Aug. 8, 2003)