A Port of Tacoma customer that has called the tide flats home for the past 35 years could soon renew its lease for another 25 years.
According to Port of Tacoma officials, Georgia-Pacific Gypsum, which employs approximately 65 people, produces wallboard from synthetic and natural gypsum imported from Mexico at a 15.5-acre site owned by the Port of Tacoma and located at 1240 Alexander Avenue East. The manufacturer is completing upgrades to the site’s dock and warehouse in order to improve efficiencies and increase capacity. The improvements will allow the company, which began to lease the site in October of 1979, to create an additional 15 to 20 jobs. A new lease would generate approximately $1 million in revenue annually for the Port of Tacoma — approximately $746,000 in annual rental revenue; and approximately $300,00 in annual wharfage and dockage revenue — according to Port of Tacoma staff. The lease is expected to begin on Weds., Oct. 1, or upon approval of the terminal improvement project.
The Port of Tacoma Commission is scheduled to vote on whether to enter into the lease agreement during a public meeting on Thurs., Sept. 4, at 12 p.m., at the Fabulich Center (Room 104), located at 3600 Port of Tacoma Road. A copy of the agenda is available online here. A copy of the staff memo is available online here. Port of Tacoma Commission meetings are streamed live online at portoftacoma.com/about/commission.