The owner of the 100-year-old downtown Tacoma post office building has submitted a request to City Hall to add a seasonal mobile coffee stand and outdoor seating area along the east side of the building. “Our intent is to create a more pedestrian friendly environment along [A Street between South 11th Street and South 12th Street],” wrote George Heidgerken, owner of the historic building, located at 1102 A Street, in a June 28 letter to Reuben McKnight, the City of Tacoma’s historic preservation officer. Heidgerken added that the coffee stand and seating areas would be located entirely within the property lines. The $8,500 project would also involve extending the existing low growing boxwood along the perimeter next to the sidewalks “to create a sense of place,” and using landscape stones to create a flat stable surface for the table and chairs. Heidgerken and a business partner purchased the four-story, 72,000-square-foot building in May for approximately $1.4 million. The building, formally known as the Tacoma Federal Building, once housed the U.S. Courthouse and Customs offices. It is currently home to the U.S. Postal Service. Because the building is listed on the city, state, and national registers of historic places, the City’s Landmarks Preservation Commission will review the application during its meeting Weds., July 14., at 5 p.m. at City Hall. A staff recommendation prepared by McKnight recommends approval of the proposal. For a copy of the agenda and meeting materials, click here — http://cms.cityoftacoma.org/cedd/TacomaCulture/Historic/2010/documents/LPC_Packet_071410.pdf .
Link copied to clipboard!