An art show memorializing the demolished Luzon Building in downtown Tacoma and benefitting Historic Tacoma will open Thurs., Dec. 17 at 5 p.m. at the Logical Diagram Gallery, 301 Puyallup Ave.
“Make No Little Plans” is curated by cereamic artist and Historic Tacoma member Claudia Riedener, and features work by 18 artists, including Riedener Lynn Di Nino, Michael Sullivan, Rick Semple, Jori Adkins, R.R. Anderson, Kimberly Bardwil, Mindy Barker, John Carlton, Josh Everson, Eric Fisher, Dan Hill, James Hume, Stephen M. King, Dorothy McCuistion, Di Morgan-Graves, Jennevieve Schlemmer, M.A. Shaudis, Jessica Spring, Sharon Styer and Chandler OLeary.
Designed by famed Chicago architects John Wellborn Root and Daniel Hudson Burnham, the Luzon Building, constructed during the early-1890s, was one of the first high-rise towers on the West Coast. The building was razed in September. According to the City of Tacoma, the historically significant building was deemed a safety hazard and a demolition order was issued.
To read the Tacoma Daily Index‘s complete and comprehensive coverage of the Luzon Building, click on the following links:
- What’s Left of Luzon? Report keeps tabs on demolished building’s artifacts (Tacoma Daily Index, February 22, 2012)
- Sidewalk party marks Luzon Building demolition anniversary (Tacoma Daily Index, September 8, 2010)
- Burnham, Luzon Building featured in PBS documentary (Tacoma Daily Index, September 2, 2010)
- Year In Review: Luzon Building (Tacoma Daily Index, December 22, 2009)
- Luzon art show, fund-raiser to benefit Historic Tacoma (Tacoma Daily Index, December 16, 2009)
- Luzon’s Last Dawn (Tacoma Daily Index, September 26, 2009)
- Downtown’s Lost Block (Tacoma Daily Index, September 23, 2009)
- Luzon will come down Saturday (Tacoma Daily Index, September 22, 2009)
- Luzon’s Tough Lesson (Tacoma Daily Index, September 18, 2009)
- City will demolish 1890s Luzon Building (Tacoma Daily Index, September 15, 2009)
- Luzon’s Dark Legacy (Tacoma Daily Index, July 10, 2009)
- What Looms for Luzon? (Tacoma Daily Index, April 28, 2009)
- Luzon Unlocked (Tacoma Daily Index, August 28, 2008)
- Resolution would facilitate acquisition, renovation of Luzon Building (Tacoma Daily Index, October 29, 2007)
- Renovation in store for Luzon Building: Development of historic site to begin this spring; commercial and residential spaces planned (Tacoma Daily Index, January 13, 2005)
- Pacific Block closer to being sold (Tacoma Daily Index, January 14, 2003)