The City of Tacoma’s Landmarks Preservation Commission presented this year’s awards for outstanding achievements in historic preservation during a public ceremony on Sun., May 31, at Foss Waterway Seaport.
This year’s recipients are Joan Waldrop and Steve Logan (Residential Renovation Award); Citizen’s Advisory Committee for the Amtrak Station Relocation / Freighthouse Square (Preservation Planning Award); City of Tacoma Historic Preservation Officer Reuben McKnight (Preservation Planning, Policy, or Initiative Award); Historic Tacoma / Hoyt Elementary School (Landmark Nomination to be Recognized Award); Dr. Caroline T. Swope / Kingstree Studios (Leadership in Preservation Award); Historic Tacoma Board President Gary Knudson (Leadership in Preservation Award); and the Tacoma Historical Society (Organization in Preservation Award).
The awards ceremony capped a series of events in May that coincided with national historic preservation month.
A partial list of past award recipients includes University of Washington Tacoma (2014), Spaceworks Tacoma (2014), Sharon Winters (2014), Metro Parks Tacoma (2014), Tacoma Public Schools (2011 and 2006), Bill Baarsma (2010), University Union Club (2010), Urban Grace Church (2010), Roger Johnson (2010), Park Universalist Church (2009), St. Luke’s Memorial Church (2009), Frisko Freeze (2009), Blue Mouse Theatre (2009), Johnson-Gehri Residence (2009), Historic Tacoma (2009 and 2008), Caroline T. Swope and David Waring (2008), Metro Parks Tacoma (2008), Chinese Reconciliation Park (2008), Save Our Bridge Organization (2008 and 2005), David and Josephine Root (2008), Todd and Paula Bond (2008), Michael Sullivan (2006), Gary E. Milgard Family Foundation and BOE Architects / Teamsters/Chauffers Hall (2006), Geoff Corso and Marshall McClintock / Rhodes House (2006), Emery Chang / First Swedish Baptist Church (2006), Bob’s Java Jive (2005), Cooper House (2005), Larsen House (2005), Fern Hill Elementary School and Friends (2005), Seymour Conservatory and Wright Park Master Plan (2005), and Anne deMille-Flood (2005).
To read the Tacoma Daily Index‘s complete and comprehensive coverage of the annual Tacoma Landmarks Preservation Commission Historic Preservation Awards, click on the following links:
- Winters, Spaceworks Tacoma earn historic preservation awards (Tacoma Daily Index, May 6, 2014)
- Landmarks Preservation Commission announces historic preservation awards (Tacoma Daily Index, May 21, 2010)
- Tacoma City Council will honor historic preservation award winners (Tacoma Daily Index, May 19, 2009)
- City’s Landmarks Commission announces preservation award winners (Tacoma Daily Index, May 13, 2009)
- Landmarks Preservation Commission announces 2008 Preservation Award winners (Tacoma Daily Index, October 22, 2008)
- City’s Landmarks Commission honors historic preservation leaders (Tacoma Daily Index, June 8, 2006)
- Landmarks Preservation Commission announces 2005 Preservation Award winners (Tacoma Daily Index, May 24, 2005)