Tacoma Goodwill Industries hosted its Annual Awards Breakfast this morning at the Tacoma Dome Exhibition Hall.
The event – which featured basketball legend Bill Russell as guest speaker – is held each year to elevate community awareness about Goodwills programs, which help people with disabilities and other special needs become self-sustaining citizens.
The Annual Awards Breakfast honors individuals who have developed skills and self-sufficiency through the help of Goodwill, while overcoming significant barriers.
The event also recognizes businesses that have demonstrated a true commitment to the mission of Goodwill through helping people with special needs prepare for, find and keep jobs.
The major awards presented were as follows:
– Small Employer of the Year: Beye Realty dba Arbys Restaurants
– Large Employer of the Year: Metro Parks Tacoma
– Business Partner of the Year: Premier Plastics
– Achiever of the Year: Shaaron Berg
– Graduate of the Year: Ian Hebdon
This year, three additional awards were given:
– Distinguished Volunteer Lifetime Achievement Award: Josephine Carter
– Distinguished Service Provider Award: Pierce Transit
– New Business Partner Award: Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Washington