Foss Waterway Seaport officials will be at Tacoma City Hall next week to share plans for the next phase of their museum’s renovation.
The museum, which is located 705 Dock St. in the historic, century-old Balfour Dock Building, aims to celebrate Tacoma’s rich maritime heritage by offering exhibits, land- and boat-based education programs, guest boat moorage, and event rental space. In May, museum officials hosted a grand re-opening celebration to mark the completion of a $1.8 million renovation of their historic building and former warehouse. Foss Waterway Seaport was founded in 1996 as the Commencement Bay Maritime Association. It was later renamed the Working Waterfront Museum before the name Foss Waterway Seaport was adopted nine years ago, according to the organization’s Web site.
Next week, Foss Waterway Seaport Executive Director Wesley Wenhardt and Foss Waterway Development Authority Executive Director Su Dowie are scheduled to meet with Tacoma City Council’s Economic Development Committee to discuss a fund-raising campaign for the next phase of the building renovation, according to City of Tacoma staff. The project will install an HV/AC system to provide heating to the building for the first time in its history, as well as enable museum officials to offer programs and services to visitors year-round.
The public meeting will be held on Tues., Sept. 9, at 10 a.m., at the Tacoma Municipal Building, 747 Market St., Room 248, in downtown Tacoma. Copies of the agenda and staff memo are available online here and here, respectively.
To read the Tacoma Daily Index’s complete and comprehensive coverage of the Foss Waterway Seaport renovation, click on the following links:
- Tinkertopia, Foss Waterway Seaport earn New Tacoma Awards (Tacoma Daily Index, July 11, 2014)
- ***UPDATE W/PHOTOS*** Congressmen to visit Tacoma for proposed Maritime Heritage Area announcement (Tacoma Daily Index, June 27, 2014)
- Boat building, tall ships on deck at 22nd Annual Tacoma Maritime Fest (Tacoma Daily Index, June 24, 2014)
- $1.8M renovation highlights Foss Waterway Seaport summer season reopening (Tacoma Daily Index, May 14, 2014)
- Foss Waterway Seaport reopens May 11 (Tacoma Daily Index, May 2, 2013)
- Preservationists push for regional maritime heritage area designation (Tacoma Daily Index, August 10, 2009)
- Foss Waterway Seaport reports fund-raising success (Tacoma Daily Index, February 7, 2008)
- Milestone for maritime museum (Tacoma Daily Index, October 22, 2007)
- Foss Waterway Seaport kicks off historic wharf replacement project (Tacoma Daily Index, October 17, 2007)
- Foss Waterway Seaport receives two major grants (Tacoma Daily Index, April 30, 2007)
- State Legislature aims to fund several key Tacoma projects (Tacoma Daily Index, April 25, 2007)
- Historic Balfour Dock wharf received funds for improvements (Tacoma Daily Index, April 12, 2007)
- Creating a maritime haven: Foss Waterway Seaport moves forward to build its vision of maritime heritage (Tacoma Daily Index, June 16, 2005)