Construction is well under way on a $7.6 million project that will create a new aquatics facility at the People’s Community Center in Tacoma’s Hilltop neighborhood.
Metro Parks Tacoma and City of Tacoma officials on May 7 hosted a groundbreaking ceremony for the project (see “Hilltop community breaks ground on $7.6M Tacoma aquatics facility,” Tacoma Daily Index, May 8, 2015), which includes a swimming pool, three-lane lap pool, passive swim area and bench, indoor spray pad, current channel, vortex, and lily pad walk. In addition, visitors will also notice new restrooms and changing areas, two party rooms, and basketball hoops. The project is being paid for using approximately $5.34 million in City funds, approximately $1.74 million in Metro Parks Tacoma bonds, and a $485,000 grant from the Washington State Department of Commerce. The pool is scheduled to open to the public in fall 2016.
The People’s Community Center, which was built in 1978 and is located at 1602 Martin Luther King Jr. Way, is owned by the City of Tacoma and operated by Metro Parks Tacoma. The pool was closed in 2008 after an engineer’s report cited structural concerns. A stakeholders group that included Metro Parks Tacoma, City of Tacoma, and community representatives formed to advocate for re-opening the facility and secure funding for the project.
The Tacoma Daily Index visited the construction site Friday afternoon to photograph the progress so far.
To read the Tacoma Daily Index‘s complete and comprehensive coverage of the People’s Community Center swimming pool and aquatics center, click on the following links:
- Hilltop community breaks ground on $7.6M Tacoma aquatics facility (Tacoma Daily Index, May 8, 2015)
- Groundbreaking ceremony May 7 for Hilltop aquatic facility (Tacoma Daily Index, April 14, 2015)
- $6M aquatics facility approved for Hilltop community center (Tacoma Daily Index, April 2, 2015)
- Tacoma Bid Watch: Hilltop swimming pool, transient camp clean ups, and South Tacoma Way revamp (Tacoma Daily Index, Feb. 12, 2015)
- Tacoma Bid Watch: Foss Waterway Esplanade, ammo recycling, and People’s Community Center swimming pool (Tacoma Daily Index, Jan. 13, 2015)
- City, Metro Parks envision revamped Peoples Neighborhood Resource Center (Tacoma Daily Index, June 2, 2010)