City of Tacoma News: Tacoma City Council

This week's study session and regular meeting.

Tacoma City Council
Study Session
Noon, Tuesday, August 31, 2004
Room 16
Tacoma Municipal Building North
733 Market St.

Financial update
The Office of Management, Budget and Analysis will provide a financial update with city expenditures and revenues through July 2004. The public may attend, but the council will not take public comment. CityPost (Channel 85 on Click!, Channel 77 on Comcast) will air the audio portion of the study session live.

Tacoma City Council
Regular Meeting
5 p.m., Tuesday, August 31, 2004
Council Chambers
Tacoma Municipal Building
747 Market St.

Puyallup River Bridge repairs
The City Council will consider authorizing a consultant agreement with CES Consulting Engineers for $1,155,582 to prepare plans and specifications for the replacement of a 600-foot segment of the Puyallup River Bridge on Highway 99. The bridge was originally built in 1926 and a 600-foot segment of the 2,500-foot-long bridge needs replaced. The city has obtained a federal grant that will cover 80 percent of the cost of replacing the 600-foot bridge section, leaving the city to cover the other 20 percent.

Hazardous sidewalk ordinance
City Council members will hear the second and final reading of a hazardous sidewalk ordinance that would order the reconstruction or replacement of hazardous sidewalks at 45 locations throughout Tacoma. The ordinance would also direct the levy of special assessments on property owners who are responsible for the hazardous sidewalks.

New TEDD director arrives
Ryan Petty, the new director of the Tacoma Economic Development Department (TEDD), enters his first week in the position. Petty was selected as TEDD director at the end of June. He returns to Tacoma after serving as President and CEO of both the Rockford Regional Chamber of Commerce and the Rockford Area Council of 100 in Illinois – positions he had held since March 1992. Petty is a former president and chief executive for the Economic Development Board for Tacoma-Pierce County.

City offices closed on Labor Day
City of Tacoma administrative offices will close on Monday, Sept. 6, in recognition of Labor Day. Garbage, recycling and yard waste collection will not be affected. Tacoma Solid Waste Management will collect garbage, recycling and yard waste on Sept. 6, and the city’s landfill, recycling center and household hazardous waste facility will be open that day. Customers with solid waste-related questions may call 253/591-5543.

Free electronics recycling
Tacoma Solid Waste Management encourages residents to recycle their electronics – free – at all Office Depot stores through Labor Day. The free, nationwide electronics recycling program, sponsored by Office Depot and HP, accepts electronic items (any manufacturer) such as computers, monitors, printers, scanners, mice, keyboards, TVs (27″ or smaller, no consoles), TV/VCR combinations, fax machines, digital cameras, cell phones and more. Electronics contain hazardous material, such as lead, mercury and cadmium, and they need to be handled properly to protect the environment and human health. Find store locations and program details at www.officedepot.com/recycle.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Related Stories