Ceremony planned to commemorate 1855 Byrd School in Lakewood

The Lakewood Historical society announced today a historical marker recognizing the Byrd School will be officially dedicated Mon., July 26...

The Lakewood Historical society announced today a historical marker recognizing the Byrd School will be officially dedicated Mon., July 26 by Lakewood Mayor Doug Richardson and officials from Echelon Apartments and the Lakewood Historical Society. The program will get under way at 4 p.m. The marker, located near the site where the school actually stood, is now on the property of the Echelon Apartments at the corner of Steilacoom Boulevard and Lakewood Drive SW. Owners of the complex paid for the marker and donated the space for its placement. If you would like to attend the dedication, enter the apartment complex through the main gate on Steilacoom Boulevard, park near the Clubhouse/Office area and follow signage to the marker’s site. Refreshments will be served in the Clubhouse after the dedication. Guided tours of the complex are also available. In 1855, Byrd School was the first public school building north of the Columbia River. The school was originally built on the site now occupied by Park Lodge School and later moved a year later to the Steilacoom Boulevard location. It was destroyed by fire in 1885. Artifacts excavated from the site by Glen Spieth and Cy Happy are on display at the Lakewood History Museum at 6211 Mt. Tacoma Drive SW. Open hours are Wednesday through Saturday from noon to 4 p.m.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Related Stories