The City of Tacoma, Business Improvement Area and Downtown Merchants Group are inviting residents, drivers, business staff and all others to celebrate the Pacific Avenue Streetscape Project’s substantial completion at “Pac the Ave” this weekend.
The event is designed to kick-off the holiday season by introducing residents to the transformed Pacific Avenue with all its new public improvements and businesses. The 10-block project included sidewalks, curbs and curb ramps, landscaping, public art, historic streetlights, roadway repaving, overhead catenary lights and 14 rain gardens which treat stormwater prior to entering Thea Foss Waterway. A few final project elements, such as road striping, installation of bike racks and benches, and a few remaining sidewalk public art pieces will be competed in January, after the holiday season is over.
On Sat., Dec. 7, between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m., Pacific Avenue will come alive at the new South 8th Street cobble-style intersection under the new crisscross overhead lights between South 7th Street and South 9th Street with free live music, arts performances, hot chocolate, kettle corn and activities. The project’s “green flash” theme will carry into the event with green candy canes and costumes. Even two of downtown Tacoma’s historic stars have been re-strung with green lights in a nod to the project. Visitors are encouraged to bring a donation of unwrapped toys, blankets and towels to benefit Tacoma Rescue Mission for a free picture with Santa Claus. Visitors can also participate in a historic walk at 4 p.m. with Downtown On The Go. A Pac Ave Passport, available at the event and at participating businesses afterwards, will foster visits to area businesses for the chance to win prizes. That contest continues until Tues., Dec. 31.
To read the Tacoma Daily Index‘s complete and comprehensive coverage of Tacoma’s Pacific Avenue Streetscape Project, click on the following links:
- City Council OKs accepting 16 grants, $31M for 12 Tacoma road projects (Tacoma Daily Index, May 16, 2013)
- 16 grants net $31M for Tacoma infrastructure projects (Tacoma Daily Index, April 30, 2013)
- Tacoma breaks ground on Pacific Avenue Streetscape Project (Tacoma Daily Index, November 5, 2012)
- Groundbreaking ceremony, open house planned for Tacoma’s Pacific Avenue Streetscape Project (Tacoma Daily Index, October 25, 2012)
- Bidding opens for Pacific Avenue streetscape project (Tacoma Daily Index, July 11, 2012)
- Funding secured, Tacoma’s Pacific Avenue revamp ready to begin (Tacoma Daily Index, June 13, 2012)
- Tacoma’s Pacific Avenue revamp awarded $3M grant (Tacoma Daily Index, May 24, 2012)
- Pacific Avenue streetscape wayfinding open house Nov. 9 (Tacoma Daily Index, November 3, 2011)
- Pacific Avenue streetscape project meeting Oct. 20 (Tacoma Daily Index, October 10, 2011)
- Tacoma to receive nearly $1M for Pacific Avenue streetscape project (Tacoma Daily Index, August 16, 2011)
- Pac Ave streetscape open house May 9 (Tacoma Daily Index, May 9, 2011)
- Public meeting Dec. 9 for Pac Ave streetscape project (Tacoma Daily Index, December 3, 2010)