Agreement clears runway safety area project for takeoff

The City Council approved a resolution June 7 that authorizes a $1,057,807 agreement with Berger/ABAM Engineers to conduct engineering design and construction administration services required for the Tacoma Narrows Airport Runway Safety Area Improvement project. Approximately $720,000 will be spent in the 2005-2006 biennium and the remaining $337,807 will be spent in the 2007-2008 biennium. A Federal Aviation Administration grant accepted by the Council in 2004 will pay 95 percent of the costs of the project, with the City paying the remaining 5 percent of the total.