The Tacoma Arts Commission recently announced it has awarded $50,000 in 2016 Arts Projects funding to 20 Tacoma organizations in support of public outreach projects in the fields of music, dance, theater, literary, visual, film, cross-disciplinary, and cultural arts. The Arts Projects funding program aims to support high-quality community projects with a strong focus on arts that are accessible and affordable to the public.
Funded organizations include Asia Pacific Cultural Center, Assemblage Theater, Barefoot Collective, Centro Latino, Children’s Museum of Tacoma, Feast Arts Center, Fort Nisqually Foundation, Foss Waterway Seaport, Hilltop Business Association, King’s Bookstore, Northwest Repertory Singers, Old Town Business and Professional Association, Puget Sound Poetry Connection, Second City Chamber Series, Sister Cities Council of Tacoma/Pierce County, Sixth Avenue Business District, Tacoma Concert Band, Tacoma Little Theatre, Washington State Historical Society, and Write@253. Funded projects include the production of six diverse cultural and arts festivals, historical arts and crafts demonstrations, visual art programs for families, contemporary dance performances, two theater productions, four music performance series, poetry writing and performance workshops for youth, poetry readings, visual art exhibits and lectures, and an international film festival. The awards this year ranged in value from $1,000 to $5,000.
“These organizations represent a cross section of the incredibly dynamic, thriving arts community in Tacoma,” said Tacoma Arts Commission Chair Mike Sweney. “We are thrilled to be able to support projects that will benefit talented artists and diverse audiences throughout the city.”
The Arts Projects is one of three funding programs administered by the Tacoma Arts Commission. More information is available online at cityoftacoma.org/funding.
To read the Tacoma Daily Index’s complete and comprehensive coverage of City of Tacoma Arts Projects funding, click on the following links:
- 18 Tacoma arts organizations will share $50K in City grants (Tacoma Daily Index, Dec. 17, 2014)
- Apply today for 2015 Tacoma Arts Projects grants (Tacoma Daily Index, Sept. 22, 2014)
- 19 Tacoma arts organizations will share $50K in City grants (Tacoma Daily Index, Jan. 27, 2014)
- Apply today for Tacoma Arts Projects grants (Tacoma Daily Index, Oct. 23, 2013)
- Smiraldo named Tacoma’s poet laureate (Tacoma Daily Index, April 12, 2013)
- 20 Tacoma arts organizations will share $50K in City grants (Tacoma Daily Index, Jan. 23, 2013)
- Apply today for 2013 Tacoma community arts funding (Tacoma Daily Index, Oct. 23, 2012)
- City of Tacoma community-based Arts Projects funding now available (Tacoma Daily Index, Oct. 10, 2011)
- Tacoma Arts Commission funds 21 projects (Tacoma Daily Index, Dec. 28, 2010)
- City of Tacoma accepts applications for community-based arts programming (Tacoma Daily Index, Oct. 25, 2010)
- 19 art projects funded by Tacoma Arts Commission (Tacoma Daily Index, Dec. 23, 2009)
- Apply today for 2010 community arts funding (Tacoma Daily Index, Oct. 22, 2009)
- Tacoma Arts Commission funds 20 projects (Tacoma Daily Index, Dec. 23, 2008)
- Arts Projects funding application now available (Tacoma Daily Index, Oct. 1, 2007)
- Tacoma Arts Commission announces funding awards (Tacoma Daily Index, April 14, 2005)