The Tacoma Arts Commission has awarded $50,000 in 2014 Arts Projects funding to 19 Tacoma organizations in support of public outreach projects in the fields of music, dance, theater, literary, film, urban, visual arts and cultural arts. The awards range in value from $1,000 to $4,000.
“The breadth and quality of grassroots arts programing in Tacoma is consistently impressive,” said Tacoma Arts Commission Chair Traci Kelly. “The range of community-based programs reflects our diverse neighborhoods and interests. We are proud to support this outstanding group of organizations.”
Funded projects include the production of five diverse cultural and arts festivals, visual art programs for families, urban art classes for youth, contemporary and multidisciplinary dance events, a variety of music performances, an international film series, poetry readings and workshops, arts components to a national conference and a community-wide guerilla art project.
Funded organizations include the Asia Pacific Cultural Center, Children’s Museum of Tacoma, DASH Center for the Arts, Fab-5, Fort Nisqually Foundation, King’s Bookstore, Local Life, Metropolitan Glass, MLKBallet, Northwest Repertory Singers, Old Town Business and Professional Association, Puget Sound Poetry Connection, Second City Chamber Series, Sister City Council of Tacoma, Tacoma Concert Band, Tacoma Maritime Fest, the BareFoot Collective, University of Puget Sound, and the Washington State Historical Society.
The Arts Projects funding program supports high quality community projects with a strong focus on arts that are accessible and affordable to the public. Twenty-three Arts Projects applications were submitted to the Tacoma Arts Commission with requests totaling $92,400.
Arts Projects is one of three funding programs administered by the Tacoma Arts Commission. For a complete listing of funding programs and information about the Tacoma Arts Commission, visit cityoftacoma.org/arts.
- Asia Pacific Cultural Center – 16th Annual Asia Pacific New Year celebration
- Children’s Museum of Tacoma – Art Sparks
- DASH Center for the Arts – KRUNK Dance Showcase and Workshop
- Fab 5 – 2014 LIFE program
- Fort Nisqually Foundation – Crafts of the Past
- King’s Bookstore – Tacoma Wayzgoose: A letterpress and book arts festival
- Local Life – The Downtown Block Party
- Metropolitan Glass – 2014 Monkeyshines Project: Year of the Horse
- MLKBallet – CHAMBER
- Northwest Repertory Singers – Tacoma Sings: A Generational Collaboration
- Old Town Business and Professional Association – Classical Tuesdays in Old Town 2014
- Puget Sound Poetry Connection – Distinguished Writer Series and Workshops
- Second City Chamber Series – 2014 Season “That’s My Specialty”
- Sister City Council of Tacoma – Sister City International Film Festival
- Tacoma Concert Band – Winter and Spring concerts
- Tacoma Maritime Fest – Maritime Fest Art Projects
- the BareFoot Collective – Autumn Dances 2014
- University of Puget Sound – Artistic Expression at the Race and Pedagogy National Conference
- Washington State Historical Society – In the Spirit 2014
To read the Tacoma Daily Index‘s complete and comprehensive coverage of the Tacoma Arts Commission’s Arts Projects funding, click on the following links:
- Apply today for Tacoma Arts Projects grants (Tacoma Daily Index, October 23, 2013)
- 20 Tacoma arts organizations will share $50K in City grants (Tacoma Daily Index, January 23, 2013)
- Apply today for 2013 Tacoma community arts funding (Tacoma Daily Index, October 23, 2012)
- City of Tacoma community-based Arts Projects funding now available (Tacoma Daily Index, October 10, 2011)
- Tacoma Arts Commission funds 21 projects (Tacoma Daily Index, December 28, 2010)
- City of Tacoma accepts applications for community-based arts programming (Tacoma Daily Index, October 25, 2010)
- 19 art projects funded by Tacoma Arts Commission (Tacoma Daily Index, December 23, 2009)
- Apply today for 2010 community arts funding (Tacoma Daily Index, October 22, 2009)
- Tacoma Arts Commission funds 20 projects (Tacoma Daily Index, December 23, 2008)
- Arts Projects funding application now available (Tacoma Daily Index, October 1, 2007)
- Tacoma Arts Commission announces funding awards (Tacoma Daily Index, April 14, 2005)