The City of Tacoma will partner with more than 30 Tacoma neighborhood groups between April 18 and August 29 as part of the 2015 Community Cleanup program.
“This is a great annual event that focuses on community partnerships to help keep Tacoma clean and attractive,” said City of Tacoma Neighborhood and Community Services division manager Lisa Wojtanowicz. “This program is successful because of the participation and commitment of Tacoma’s residents.”
The program, which accepts applications from Tacoma neighborhood groups for one cleanup day per calendar year (see “Apply today for 2015 Tacoma Community Cleanup Program,” Tacoma Daily Index, Oct. 9, 2014), has reached capacity again this year. The City of Tacoma provides dumpsters for residential customers who live in single-family homes or duplexes on their neighborhood’s day to clean up their properties and save a trip to the Tacoma Recovery & Transfer Center.
The City of Tacoma accepts almost anything at community cleanups (including tires and scrap metal), except for the following: items from businesses; car, motorcycle, camper or boat parts; truck canopies, trailers, boats or RV vehicles; daily household garbage (items that go in the kitchen garbage can; animal carcasses; roofing/construction material; vegetation (always free at the landfill); and hazardous waste (always free at the landfill).
Last year, the City of Tacoma, in partnership with various neighborhood groups, hosted 16 cleanups and hauled away 429 tons of garbage.
This year’s community cleanup schedule is posted below and available online at cityoftacoma.org/communitycleanup.
To read the Tacoma Daily Index‘s complete and comprehensive coverage of the City of Tacoma’s Community Cleanup program, click on the following links:
- Apply today for 2015 Tacoma Community Cleanup Program (Tacoma Daily Index, Oct. 9, 2014)
- Community cleanup April 26 in Edison Neighborhood (Tacoma Daily Index, April 24, 2014)
- City of Tacoma accepting applications for neighborhood cleanups (Tacoma Daily Index, Nov. 1, 2013)
- Tacoma neighborhood cleanup Aug. 3 (Tacoma Daily Index, Aug. 2, 2013)
- Tacoma neighborhood cleanup July 20 (Tacoma Daily Index, July 18, 2013)
- City schedules 2 neighborhood cleanups in September (Tacoma Daily Index, Sept. 5, 2012)
- Tacoma West End, First Creek neighborhood cleanups this month (Tacoma Daily Index, Sept. 2, 2011)
- City hosts neighborhood spring cleanups (Tacoma Daily Index, June 6, 2011)
- May is neighborhood clean-up month in Tacoma (Tacoma Daily Index, May 10, 2011)
- City hosts neighborhood cleanups April 30 (Tacoma Daily Index, April 26, 2011)
- West End neighborhood cleanup Saturday (Tacoma Daily Index, Sept. 21, 2010)
- First Creek neighborhood cleanup Saturday (Tacoma Daily Index, Sept. 16, 2010)
- City of Tacoma, Hilltop Action Coalition host neighborhood cleanup (Tacoma Daily Index, Aug. 25, 2010)
- Neighborhoods host collaborative cleanup June 26 (Tacoma Daily Index, June 21, 2010)
- Edison community cleanup April 26 (Tacoma Daily Index, April 23, 2008)
- Edison neighborhood hosts second annual clean up effort (Tacoma Daily Index, April 20, 2007)