070715_mead_house_f_web

Tacoma Fire Chief Charles Eisenbacher (left) and emergency personnel pose with the 'Head of Mercury' figurehead in 1949. The sculpture was salvaged from the former Fire Station No. 6 in downtown Tacoma, which was built in 1890, damaged during an earthquake in 1949, and demolished in 1974. It is now part of a brick wall that borders a backyard garden at the Mead House. (PHOTO COURTESY SUSAN JOHNSON / ARTIFACTS CONSULTING VIA TACOMA PUBLIC LIBRARY / NORTHWEST ROOM)

Tacoma Fire Chief Charles Eisenbacher (left) and emergency personnel pose with the ‘Head of Mercury’ figurehead in 1949. The sculpture was salvaged from the former Fire Station No. 6 in downtown Tacoma, which was built in 1890, damaged during an earthquake in 1949, and demolished in 1974. It is now part of a brick wall that borders a backyard garden at the Mead House. (PHOTO COURTESY SUSAN JOHNSON / ARTIFACTS CONSULTING VIA TACOMA PUBLIC LIBRARY / NORTHWEST ROOM)

Leave a Reply